Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"J.D. to the Principal's Office"

Oh my goodness - what an interesting night we've had.
So, recently J.D. was asked to be "little boy Jesus" in the Idlewild Christmas presentation. I must admit that my first instinct was "not a chance", because, well, I know my son. But after thinking about it, I decided that I didn't want to hold him back from a potentially exciting opportunity because I don't think he would do it. I fully believe that kids live up to what we as adults "label" them as (good or bad), and I'm working hard to not make excuses for, or to feed into his shyness. My mom had to push me my whole life to come out of my shell, and I'm seeing that God has given me a child after my own heart. So no better PUSH than to throw him out onto a stage in front of a few thousand people! Ha!
Anyway, tonight was the dress rehearsal, and let's just say it didn't go so well. He was only the backup, and thank goodness the main kid was a rock, because there was no way in tarnations he was going out there tonight. As soon as they gave me his costume he started the drama : the burying his head in my legs, covering his eyes, crying, etc. etc. So, we promptly went to the bathroom and received a "talking to", to which he did not respond well to, as you can imagine. He finally did put the costume on, but was NOT happy about it. (Just a side note - imagine being Mary and NEVER having to spank, or be embarrassed because your child is throwing a temper tantrum in public....just a sobering thought. ha!) Once we realized that he was not going on, I decided to take him into the sanctuary to let him watch the program and see what he was SUPPOSED to do. He thought it was great and was really enthralled by it.
As soon as we walked out of the church he said, "Mom, that was so much fun. Can I have my treat you promised me now?" What in the world????
So, stay tuned to find out if he makes in on stage. We are backup on Friday & Saturday (let's pray that the main kid doesn't get sick) and then the main on Sunday. GOOD LUCK, J.D.

3 comments:

  1. Thats hilarious........I never really thought of Mary like that.., but YOU are right..
    Im glad I got to talk with you for a few seconds while you made cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! That sounds like an episode of a sitcom:) I'm sure if he has to go on, he will be just great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're praying he will go out tomorrow (Sun). I know he'll enjoy it if he makes it to the stage. Tonight he got to see Aunt Karen and Memaw in our Hebrew garb :)

    ReplyDelete